STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The City of Spencer, took possession of the Northern Plains Regional Landfill in January 2002, with the intent of providing a cost effective and an environmentally sound solid waste management facility. The goals of the Northern Plains Regional Landfill and its staff are:
- To operate a cost effective and an environmentally sound landfill facility.
- To comply with the Federal and State Solid Waste Management regulations for operating this landfill.
- To educate everyone who uses this landfill facility about proper waste management.
Operating Hours and Policies
Hours: 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM, Monday through Friday
Closed on certain Holidays, please call ahead to see if we are open.
Call 24 hours in advance when bringing Special Waste Material.
The Landfill only accepts residential solid waste from waste haulers, private individuals are not allowed to bring household garbage directly to the Landfill. To arrange for pickup of your garbage, please contact a hauler in your area.
The Northern Plains Regional Landfill serves the following counties and cities:
- Clay County
- City of Spencer
- Unincorporated ares of Clay County
- Emmet County
- All cities
- Unincorporated areas of Emmet County
- Palo Alto County
- All cities except West Bend
- Unincorporated areas of Palo Alto County
- Pocahontas County
- All cities except Fonda and Gilmore City
- Unincorporated areas of Pocahontas County
- Other Entities
- City of Whittemore
- City of Bode
- City of Terril
- City of Superior
The following rates are currently in effect for all waste brought to the Landfill:
- Solid Waste: $53.67 per ton + $4.75 Iowa Solid Waste Fee per ton
- Friable Asbestos: $50 Handling Fee + $100 per ton + $4.75 Iowa Solid Waste Fee per ton
- Non-Friable Asbestos: $25 Handling Fee + $75 per ton + $4.75 Iowa Solid Waste Fee per ton
- Paint Filters: $25 Handling Fee + $53.67 per ton + $4.75 Iowa Solid Waste Fee per ton
- Out of State Fee: $69.78 per ton + $4.75 Iowa Solid Waste Fee per ton
One ton minimum charge for all loads.
$25 change for untarped & unsecured loads and for materials not accepted at the Landfill.
Waste Not Accepted
In order to ensure that the Landfill complies with DNR Regulations, the following list of items or materials are not accepted at the Landfill:
- Appliances – Including, but not limited to Air Conditioners, Clothes Dryers, Clothes Washers, Dehumidifiers, Dishwashers, Freezers, Furnaces, Water Heaters, Ice Machines, Microwaves, Stoves, Ovens, Ranges and Refrigerators.
- Auto Batteries
- Car Bodies
- Hazardous Waste – Including, but not limited to compact/tube fluorescent bulbs, electric ballasts, insecticides, liquid paint, oil filters, paint thinner/stripper, pesticides, rechargeable batteries, waste oil.
- Livestock carcasses
- Paunch Manure
- Tires (ALL sizes)
- Yard Waste