Recovery Resource HubHomeowner Resources

Homeowner Resources

Disaster Housing Programs Available

Disaster Recovery Housing Assistance Program

Disaster Recovery FARM INTEREST Program (DRFIP)

State Disaster Recovery New Housing Grant

Visit the FEMA Disaster Recovery Center (DRC):
8 a.m. to 6 p.m. every day, until further notice.

The Small Business Association (SBA) is also available in this location.

Clay County Fairgrounds, Towergate Pavilion

Translation services are available at the FEMA DRC location.


AIA Disaster Assistance Program

Important Information: Carbon Monoxide Detectors & Wet Ammo Disposal

Black Hills Energy Natural Gas Service Restoration Update

Structural Damage Update-What to Do

Electrical Re-Energizing Update

Permitting Policy During Flood Recovery

Local Contractor List

Muck/mud out help needed for my house:

  • Call Samaritan’s Purse (833) 747-1234 or Stop by Hope Church.  Organization is faith-based; services are free!
  • Call Southern Baptist Disaster Relief (573) 418-7793. Organization is faith-based; services are free!

Debris Removal:

Items can be left at the curb. Please sort them into 5 categories:

  1. Household Hazardous Waste Items
  2. Garbage
  3. Appliances, Electronics, Tires
  4. Scrap Metal
  5. Tree Limbs and Trimmings

Debris can also be dropped off at:

  • The Transfer Station, 3101 W 18th St.
  • The ADA parking pad in the fairgrounds, north parking lot
  • The Aquatic Center parking lot

How do I get power (There are 2 options):

  1. An Electrical Power Restoration form release and indemnification agreement form must be completed. This form allows electrical power to be restored to the property even though the property has not been inspected and may be unsafe for electrical power to be restored. This can be found on our website, facebook or City Hall.
  2. A certified electrician can inspect the property. They then contact city hall with the homeowners address, building officials from the city will inspect the property and once deemed safe, contacts SMU for power restoration. SMU is turning on power once the grid you are a part of is considered stable, not by individual addresses.

What if I Have Other Questions Not Answered Here?

If you still have questions, please call City Hall at 712-580-7200, Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm or email


The recovery of our community will take time, patience and teamwork unlike most of us have experienced – please know that City staff and our volunteers and partner agencies are here to help you in every way that we can, and we are working alongside you through this journey. Our community is resilient, and we will recover! Each person in the City of Spencer and surrounding communities matters, and you are each very important to us! 


City of Spencer Leadership

101 W 5th Street
Spencer, IA 51301