Model codes adopted by the City include: (See local ordinance for modifications)
- Iowa State Fire Code IAC 661-201
- International Fire Code 2015 (IFC)
- International Building Code 2015 (IBC) Chapters 2-7 and portions of 8
- National Electrical Code 2017 (NEC)
- Uniform Plumbing Code 2018 (UPC)
Additional State codes applicable to all construction throughout the State of Iowa include:
- International Energy Conservation Code 2015 (IECC)
- International Mechanical Code 2018 (IMC)
- ADAAG 2010
For projects receiving public funding and/or serving specific public functions, additional state regulations may be required. Review requirements with the State Fire Marshal and Department of Public Health.
- Iowa State Fire Marshal: https://dps.iowa.gov/divisions/state-fire-marshal
- Siouxland District Health Department: http://www.siouxlanddistricthealth.org/
A licensed professional may be required for your project. The city of Spencer follows the Iowa Administrative Code definitions for “excepted” and “non-excepted” buildings. Information related to the requirements for licensed professionals’ involvement in a project is outlined in the Building Officials’ Handbook available online at: https://plb.iowa.gov/sites/files/plb/documents/Handbook%20Final%202019.pdf
Property owners are able to conduct electrical and plumbing work in their primary place of residence only in single family dwellings. All multiple family dwellings, commercial, industrial, and other buildings or structures must have a licensed electrician or plumber to complete the work for each permitted activity.