City News


Beginning May 1st the City of Spencer will be surveying properties for grass and weeds that exceed the 8" height rule.  Properties with grass/weeds that exceed 8" in height will be posted and property owners given 7 days to mow.  After 7 days, non-compliant properties will be mowed by the city, with associated costs billed to the property owner.  If you would like to apply for an "exemption" for haying, please ocntact Delray Bredehoeft at 580-7260 for an application.  For more information check out the City website at

Renaissance Initiative Application Now Available

Applications for the Spring 2017 Renaissance Initiative funding cycle are now availabe.  The form must be submitted through the electronic application process this cycle.  The form access link can be found on the Forms page of this website, under the Public Notices tab or can be accesd here.  Application must be submitted by Thrusday, March 30 by 4:00 PM.  If you have any questions, please contact Brian Weuve at or 712-580-7200 ext. 212.

Substandard Structure Assistance Available

April 25, 2016

For those Spencer residents that have received notification from the City of substandard structure(s) on their property, the City of Spencer is offering two different programs to assist citizens in making necessary repairs.  

The Paint Assistance program is available to owner occupied property owners for paint to be used on substandard structures referred to in the enclosed notice.  Applications are available at City Hall, 418 2nd Avenue West or by clickin on the Paint Assistance program.  If approved, homeowners will be reimbursed for paint up to $100 maximum per property, based on the size of the building(s), after the work has been completed and verified by the City, and upon your submission of paint sales receipts.

The Spencer Cares program is an income based funding program that is available for painting or other repairs that are required by the city to bring the substandard structure on your property into compliance. The maximum amount of funding per request is $750.   Applications are available at City Hall, 418 2nd Avenue West or by clickin on the Spencer Cares link. 

For questions, please call Kirby Schmidt (Ext. 217), Robyn Larsen (Ext. 225) or Theresa Reardon (Ext 213) at Spencer City Hall, (712) 580-7200.